Radon: You Can Protect Yourself from Odorless, Tasteless Gas

It’s odorless, tasteless, invisible and is the second leading cause of lung cancer after smoking.

And it could be in your home.

It is radon.

Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that results from the breakdown of uranium. It’s found in soil and rock.

It finds its way into homes by seeping through cracks in foundations, walls and joints, said George Fagella, who runs the Indoor Radon Program for the California Department of Health.

Fagella has been working for years to find out where radon is located in California, and has since discovered that it has shown up in various areas that were previously thought to have a low probability of having radon.

“We thought there was no radon in Tulare County,” said Dr. Karen Haught, health officer for the Tulare County public health officer.

read more