Push is on: Radon, be gone

Breathing the odorless, radioactive gas second-leading cause of lung cancer

Three workers arrived Saturday morning at a home on Landon Drive, just south of Hillside Road in the southwest part of Amarillo.

They unloaded their tools, pulled back the carpet in a basement closet and used a jackhammer to bust a hole in the concrete floor to reach the gas trapped underneath.

The gas – radon – is of concern to the workers. It’s prevalent in the Panhandle, and can be harmful.

That’s why more efforts are under way to make the public aware of radon, and it’s why this week has been designated National Radon Awareness Week.

The workers on Landon Drive, who are with Radon Technology, were beginning the installation of a radon gas mitigation project.

read more