Oregon House Passes Radon Bill

The Oregon House passed a bill Monday that requires all new buildings in the state be Radon resistant.

Radon is a natural, radioactive gas that seeps up from the ground. In small amounts, it’s not considered dangerous. But one of every 15 homes in Oregon has elevated levels where the gas collects in basements and lower rooms. Phil Donovan is with the American Lung Association of Oregon.
Phil Donovan: “Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in Oregon. And it can be easily prevented in homes. And so the state of Oregon is going to make sure that new residential homes and new public buildings are radon resistant. And they’re going to provide information to home buyers so they’re aware of the dangers of radon in buying an existing home.”

The bill has already passed the senate. Governor Kulongoski has not said if he’ll sign it, but state agencies are supportive.

Families can test their homes with a $15 send-away kit.