Q: Our daughter’s family (with a 2-year-old and a 10-day-old) just rented a home in Tacoma, Wash., that was built in 1920. It was recently remodeled, except the basement. The basement is dry, but the kids will spend playtime down there on rainy days. Should they be concerned about radon?
A:We should all be concerned about radon gas in our homes, and all homes should be checked. Radon is a colorless, odorless, naturally occurring radioactive gas, the result of the decay of radium in the soils. Radon is a known health hazard, estimated by the Environmental Protection Agency to be the second-leading cause of lung cancer in the United States, responsible for 20,000 deaths each year.