MADISON, Al. – 291 Dublin Circle in Madison looks like a place where there’s little chance of danger.
It’s tucked in the curve on the north side of the street, a four-acre lot huddled among the maples.
Tom and Faye Dickerson have lived here for almost 40 years. They’ve been here for most of their marriage, raising three children when Jack Clift’s farm nudged up to their backyard.
With the children gone, it’s unnerving to the Dickersons that they raised a family in a house with such high levels of radon.
“It’s the second leading cause of lung cancer after cigarette smoking,” Faye Dickerson said. “As we learned more about it, we said we’ve got to do something about this.”
Radon is a cancer-causing radioactive gas, according to radon.com. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the Surgeon General’s Office have estimated that as many as 20,000 lung cancer deaths are caused each year by radon, the website said.